I found my first SUPER FOOD
Grapefruit! I am so excited, yesterday at the local market I found grapefruit (pamplemousse) is a very common and inexpensive fruit here. Grapefruit has all the same properties as oranges, large quantities of vitamin C and Vitamin A. A pile of 3 grapefruits costs 20 Gourdes ($.50). You can also use limes if you are not is our region (make lime juice and add a tbls of boiled down sugar water)
I like to eat grapefruit in the morning because it helps me wake up and gives me my daily intake of vitamin C, but if you are like my husband and need to sweeten up your grapefruit here is a recipe passed down from my husbands Grandma I have found to be very effective.
Broiled Grape Fruit: this recipe turns a superfood into a desert!
Ingredients for each grapefruit halve: 2 tbls of brown or regular sugar 1tsp., butter, a dash of cinnamon on top
1. Cut a grapefruit in half and spread the top with a tsp. of butter.
2. Sprinkle 2 tbls of brown or regular sugar on top and then a dash with cinnamon.
3. Broil at 350 or 400 (depending on how powerful your oven is, we turned ours up to 400!). Broil for 5-15 minutes or until the sugar is caramelized. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment