Sunday, May 8, 2011

Banana Bread for the Brave of Palate

BANANA BREAD!!!! Few things make my mouth water more than those two words!  We seem to have a plethora of rotten bananas in our refrigerator; the product of power outages.  Ever since we arrived in Haiti I have been chomping at the bit to turn them into this delectable delight.  However, finding baking soda has been an unforeseen challenge! To my surprise our house keeper bought some by accident at the market this week.

Here is our Haitian adapted banana bread recipe.  I added two twists to our banana bread recipe to make it a little more nutrient rich! Before you hate on it, try it!  It tasted better than any other banana bread I have made! 

1. Stevia (which is an all-natural sweetener; 0 calories)

2. Raw Ground Flax Seed (one of natures wonders, a wholegrain containing Omega 3 fatty Acids)

Here is the recipe:
-1 1/2 cups white flour (please substitute with whole-wheat flour if you can)
-2 tbls. raw ground flax seed
-1 egg beaten
-1/2 tsp. stevia
-1 tsp. baking soda
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-1/3 cup melted butter or margerine
-1-2 tbls. ground cimamon
-5 small ripe bananas (mashed)


Preheat oven to 350*F.  Mix all ingredients together and bake for 30-1 hour... once again when it comes to baking I don't have dials on my oven so I bake by feel.  My bread only took 30 minutes and was perfect!  If baking in the US it will probably bake for 1 hour...

NUTRITIONAL NOTE: I only have access to white flour, which I abhor... white flour has little nutritional value, but I have not been able to locate locally manufactured whole-wheat flour (which says something about the poverty of health in Haiti). If you have access to wholewheat flour where you live please substitute it for the white flour in my recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment